Welcome to a new year! Hoping for lots of Disney magic this coming year, and I think we’re starting off strong with the latest Disney news and events. Many things to look forward to in 2022!
- Two Disney World restaurants have reopened recently: Boatwright’s at Port Orleans Riverside, and Storybook Dining at Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge.
- Several new shops and experiences opened in Downtown Disney in California, including Pele Soccer, Post 21, and a fun photo opp on Boba Fett’s throne based on the new Disney+ show The Book of Boba Fett.
- Several Behind the Scenes tours are back for 2022. As of right now Disney World has announced the returns of Keys to the Kingdom, Caring for Giants, Wild Africa Trek, Up Close with Rhinos, and Savor the Savanna.
- All-Star Sports resort will reopen for guests starting on March 31, 2022.
- Universal in Orlando has once again adopted a mask mandate matching Disney’s – guests to Universal are now required to wear masks at all indoor locations regardless of vaccination status.
- Disney’s second water park is back – Typhoon Lagoon reopened yesterday (January 2nd)!
- Disney had two very successful films recently. Spider-Man: No Way Home has now made over $600 million in the US box offices, which puts it in the top 10 most successful films of all time. Encanto, which opened in theaters on November 24, may not have as big box office numbers but it’s now available on Disney+ and has been getting a lot of high praise and great reviews.
- Over in Disneyland there is now the opportunity to rent out Mickey’s House in Toontown for a party!
- The dates for Epcot’s Flower and Garden Festival have now been announced. For 2022 the festival will run from March 2-July 4.
Disney World // The Orlando Sentinel released an expose about the Reedy Creek Fire Department and how understaffed they are for any emergencies that might happen in Disney – according to the article firefighters and paramedics “claim they are increasingly relying on outside fire departments to respond to calls and take guests of Walt Disney World to hospitals.”
Dining // There are still several dining locations in Disney World that have not reopened. One of these is the Spirit of Aloha dinner show, and with no word about it whatsoever some fans are speculating it may be closed permanently. My guess is they would replace it with some other sort of “dining experience” (probably with characters or IP).
Other Disney blogs
Headed to Disney this month? WDW Prep School has some info on some of the exciting things to look forward to in Disney World in January 2022.
Jenn from Fairest Run of All tried the 50th Anniversary dinner and Fireworks at California Grill, and she has some great things to say about it!
The Disney Parks blog gives us some more insight into the culturally inspired visuals of Harmonious, and it just makes me even more excited to see the show again.
This holiday season saw a lot of flight delays and cancellations, and it can be stressful for travelers to know how to handle that. Tom from Disney Tourist Blog gives some great tips.
There is a great Boba Fett and Fennec Shand Disneybound posted by Jenmarie at Anakin and his Angel. I love how they created these looks!