Once again exciting things will be happening this month! Galaxy’s Edge will finally open in Disney World in Florida (it’s been open in Disneyland since June). Cast member previews have started, annual passholder previews will be in the middle of the month (I’ll be there on August 19th!) and then the grand opening is August 29th. This is also when the Epcot Food and Wine Festival starts. I’ve become a pretty big fan of Disney in the summer – it may be hot, but the crowds are less than they have been for years. Finally, the D23 expo will be happening towards the end of August so I’m sure we can look forward to lots of news and exciting announcements there!
- A number of locations in Epcot will be closing this fall (some permanently, some temporarily), or moved to different locations. Disney Tourist Blog has the full list, but it includes Club Cool, Electric Umbrella, Art of Disney, Character Spot, Mouse Gear, and Fountain View Starbucks.
- A live action version of The Little Mermaid is in the works, and Halle Bailey has been chosen to play Ariel.
- You can find a new strawberry dole whip float in Magic Kingdom! It’s called Redd’s Revenge and it’s over at the Sunshine Tree Terrace.
- There’s a new “Bayou Brunch” coming to House of Blues in Disney Springs – it sounds pretty tasty!
- We have an opening date for Rise of the Resistance in Galaxy’s Edge – it will open in Florida on December 5th, and in California on January 17th.
- The new transportation system, the Skyliner, will be opening on September 29th.
- The new medal designs have been released for Disney World marathon weekend!
- Several Magic Kingdom attractions are going to have a special holiday version for Christmas – including the Tomorrowland Speedway, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, and Space Mountain.
Epcot // Disney originally said that Spaceship Earth would be closing for an extended 2 year refurb – but now there’s a rumor going around that this long refurb may not happen, or it may at least be pushed back for awhile until more of the construction in Epcot is done.
Magic Kingdom // It seems very likely that a walkway will be created between the Grand Floridian and Magic Kingdom. While Disney hasn’t made any official announcements, word has it that construction permits have been filed.
Other Disney Blogs
Jenn at the Fairest Run of All made a Disney World “must eat” list – and now I feel like I need to make one too!
I’m loving the look of this Captain America dessert from Monica at Popcorner. It looks like the perfect summer treat!
The Disney Food Blog has info on a new “Royal Portrait Studio” in Magic Kingdom, where Photopass can do some fun pictures with Disney props!
Do you know why many consider Banana Cabana at Caribbean Beach to be one of the best Disney bars? Tom from Disney Tourist Blog has all of the details.
The Disney Parks Blog has a great article on some of the cultural representatives working at Animal Kingdom Lodge and interviews with them.
Fatherly.com has the perfect response to the “childless millennial” social media rant: Disney is better with planning. Hey, that’s why you should consider using a travel agent (like me!) for free! Send me an email at [email protected] to plan your trip!
What Disney news are you most excited about this month?
[email protected] Confused Millennial says
that walkway would be awesomeeeee!! i hope it happens!
The Animation Commendation says
That would be interesting if they postponed the Spaceship Earth refurb.