The Wave is kind of a hidden gem of Disney restaurants. It’s located in the Contemporary resort, but it’s not one of the highly publicized restaurants there, like Chef Mickey’s for the character meals for California Grill for the delicious food and amazing views. However, The Wave is a great restaurant and breakfast there is a particular highlight. You can typically opt for a plated meal or the buffet, and either way you can get this amazing item – sweet potato pancakes.
I enjoy sweet potatoes, but I have to admit that they are amazing in pancakes. They bring some delicious natural sweetness to the batter. They are served with a pecan honey butter at The Wave but for this sweet potato pancake recipe I just used maple syrup and it was still excellent.
I put together this recipe using a few different sweet potato pancake recipes I found in order to create one that I felt best matched the taste as the one I had at the Contemporary. Here is what I came up with and whether you’ve had these pancakes at The Wave before or not, I hope they are as delicious for you as they were for me!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sweet potatoes, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Heat a large cast iron pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Add a small amount of high-heat oil to the pan. Swirl the batter into the pan. Cook about 3 minutes on one side or until bubbles begin to form in the center of the pancakes. Flip the cakes and cook until browned.
- Serve with your favorite syrup or butter and enjoy!
Have you had the sweet potato pancakes at The Wave before? Would you try this sweet potato pancake recipe?
I’ve never had sweet potato pancakes, but I’ll have to try these!
Kait | Slumber & Scones says
We always try to get breakfast at The Wave because everything there is so unique and interesting! I’ve never had these, but I am definitely going to try making them at home. I love sweet potatoes!