Today is a BIG day – it’s the 50th anniversary of Disney World! If all has gone according to plan, I myself should be in the Magic Kingdom as this is being posted to celebrate. There are lots of new things introduced for the occasion, with more to come within the next 18 months. Disney has also been busy with holiday events and lots of other new things. It’s definitely the start of an exciting time!
- Over at Epcot they’ve opened the new Creations merchandise shop as well as a new version of Club Cool – with lots of new sodas from around the world to try!
- The Space 220 Restaurant has opened in Epcot, and it’s been super popular… getting a reservation is almost impossible!
- Those traveling around Christmas will be excited to know that Candlelight Processional will be returning to Epcot starting on November 26.
- Though the Finding Nemo musical has returned to Animal Kingdom yet, Disney has confirmed it will be back in 2022 – with some updated songs and storylines.
- If you’re a fan of High School Musical: the Musical: the Series on Disney+, it’s been confirmed that they will be getting a season 3!
- California Grill will be serving a special menu in honor of the 50th anniversary.
- Also at the Contemporary resort, The Wave restaurant has now become Steakhouse 71 and will be opening on October 1st.
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure opens on October 1st, and it will be accessible with a virtual queue (like Rise of the Resistance previously was).
- For those at home, Disney has announced they will be celebrating “Disney+ Day” on November 12th, the anniversary of Disney+ being released. There will be some exciting new content (like “Olaf Presents,” which has Olaf from Frozen re-telling popular Disney tales), new seasons of favorite shows (like “The World According to Jeff Goldblum”), and movies being released for everyone (including Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and The Jungle Cruise).
- The “Let the Magic Begin” welcome show in front of the castle will be at the Magic Kingdom starting on October 1st.
- More entertainment is returning – Casey’s Corner Pianist will be back as well!
- Over at Epcot there are additional entertainment acts returning. On October 1st we’ll welcome back the drummers in Japan (Matsuriza), Sergio the Italian Juggler, and Alberta Bound in Canada.
- Over at Disney Cruise Line, magic shots will be coming to photos. It was about time this happened!
- Rise of the Resistance is no longer using a virtual queue – for right now the only way to access the ride is using the stand-by line.
- Foodies! Disney is introducing over 150 new food and drink items in honor of the 50th celebration – many of these will be available throughout the next 18 months!
- Disney fans who use Amazon’s Alexa will be excited to hear about “Hey Disney” – a partnership that you can use with Amazon devices both at the resorts and at home.
- The Star Wars Galactic Cruiser will be opening on March 1, 2022, and you can book starting on October 28.
Hollywood Studios // there is a rumor that Rock n Roller Coaster could get a makeover because the contract with Aerosmith is ending – and there are TONS of guesses about what could replace them!
Genie+ // Disney has not given a date when Genie+ will start, though there are some rumors that keep popping up – particularly I’ve seen October 19 and November 1.
Other Disney blogs
Disney has introduced a beautiful looking new book called Portrait of Walt Disney World: 50 Years of the Most Magical Place on Earth. George from Imaginerding has a review of the book, so if you’d like a peek inside check out his post and video!
If you’re curious about getting on Rise of the Resistance now without the virtual queue, Tom from The Disney Tourist Blog has a write-up about his experience (though I’m sure it will be changing all the time!).
I’m all about the food, so I was excited to read about Jenmarie’s experience of “What I Ate at Disneyland” over on her blog Anakin and His Angel. I can’t wait to get back to Disneyland!
Do you approach Disney with a strict schedule or are you more go with the flow? Jenn at Fairest Run of All discusses the pros and cons of being a theme park commando.