We made it through another month! Disney World has reopened, though most people seem to be playing it safe and not attending. We’ve seen a number of films pushed back to next year. As for me? I’m still trying to plan fun Disney stuff at home and staying safe! Even though we’re still in the middle of the summer I’ve already started thinking about how I can add a little Disney to fall and Halloween this year, so stay tuned for that…
- Two major projects will not be coming to the Disney parks as recently planned. The announced Mary Poppins ride in Epcot has been shelved, and the massive refurb for Spaceship Earth is postponed indefinitely.
- Stitch’s Great Escape, Primeval Whirl, and Rivers of Light will all close permanently.
- The Disney college program has been suspended indefinitely. No word on when it might resume.
- Rise of the Resistance is back to doing a virtual queue in Hollywood Studios. Make sure to check the app for the latest updates on times and how it will work.
- A number of Disney films have been delayed – notably, Mulan is removed from the schedule completely right now, and the new Avatar and Star Wars films have been pushed back a year to December 2022 and December 2023.
- ShopDisney recently introduced something called MerchPass to help with the sale of popular merchandise. Instead of everyone flooding their website when a new collection is released, you sign up in advance for MerchPass and they use a lottery to determine who will be able to purchase items.
- Epcot is still holding a festival – the Taste of Epcot is currently happening, and you can view the full menus here. And be sure to check out my personal top choices!
- Disneyland’s Oogie Boogie Bash is cancelled for 2020.
- Disney’s Wine and Dine race weekend, scheduled to take place in early November, has been cancelled. The next currently scheduled RunDisney event is marathon weekend in early January 2021.
- Ample Hills Creamery, the ice cream shop on Disney’s Boardwalk, will close permanently.
Disney Cruise Line // Disney has been working on a few new ships, and the first of these is supposed to be the Disney Wish. The timeline originally had stated that it would be ready by late 2021 and set sail in January 2022. However, with everything going on there are a lot of rumors that it will be delayed.
Magic Kingdom // The Hall of Presidents could be getting a makeover – done by Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic! With the success of Hamilton there has been a lot of speculation that Miranda will be called on to do something in Liberty Square. Now Weird Al’s name has been thrown into the mix.
Hollywood Studios // Disney is still doing some construction and recently filed a permit that looks like it will be for the Toy Story Rodeo BBQ Restaurant, so it seems that is still on.
Resorts // Similarly, a permit was filed in relation to the Star Wars Galactic Cruiser resort – so while we expect the opening of this hotel/experience to be delayed, Disney is still working on it.
Other Disney blogs
Over on the Disney Tourist Blog, Tom makes an argument for why Disney World needs to make the 50th anniversary a big deal – and some great suggestions for how they could do it with a lower budget!
Thinking about a Disney Cruise? Everything Mouse has great insight into some of the rooms on the Disney Dream that give you the best bang for your buck!
Cooking with Character has the recipe for the coconut curry soup at Boma. I love this soup so I’ll definitely be trying this!
The review of Monsieur Paul from Disney Adulting sounds so delicious it’s going to be at the top of my list for new places to try!
Debbie Kolacki says
Very curious about the Hall of Presidents!