Lately there’s been a lot of talk about Hollywood Studios. We all know that Disney is going to do something with it, but they haven’t officially announced what yet. I suspect we’ll find that out in August, at D23. Until then, we’re left to speculate. Honestly, it’s hard for me to imagine spending a full day there now given the state of things. They’ve taken out a lot and while I’m sure what they will do will be spectacular, it’s not there yet. Right now we’re in the state of having lost without the gain, so in the meantime it’s hard to justify a park ticket for Hollywood Studios (in my mind).
I wanted to take a look at what has recently closed, what’s left, what might be closing, and what might be added. Keep in mind that most of this is speculation!
Attractions recently closed (within the past year):
- Animation Academy (closing July 12th, 2015)
- The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow (closed November 6th, 2014)
- Backlot Tours (closed September 28th, 2014)
- The American Idol Experience (closed August 30th, 2014)
Is it worth your time to visit Hollywood Studios? You can probably figure it out by looking at this list and seeing which attractions you are interested in doing. If there’s enough to keep your interest then it’s worth it!
- The Great Movie Ride
- Beauty and the Beast live on stage
- Star Tours
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Muppet Vision 3D
- Lights, Motors, Action
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- One Man’s Dream
- Disney Junior Live on Stage
- Rockin’ Roller Coaster
- Tower of Terror
- Frozen Sing-along
Attractions rumored to close:
These are all just things I’ve heard people talking about – rumored to close because Disney presumably will be doing a pretty major expansion. The attractions on this list are things that are either old and outdated, or in a spot where they might get the axe due to Disney wanting that particular area for their expansion.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular – rumored to either be replaced by Star Wars or a new Indiana Jones attraction
- Muppet Vision 3D – due to location
- Lights, Motors, Action – due to location and the fact that it was never super popular
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground – updated to something more current
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid – due to location
- One Man’s Dream – due to location
Attractions/themes rumored to be added:
Disney has stayed mostly quiet about what is definitely going there, though hints have been dropped along the way. Iger let slip that Star Wars would definitely be added to the theme parks in some capacity, and Hollywood Studios makes the most sense.
- Star Wars: we will definitely see Star Wars in the parks, and Hollywood Studios makes sense due to theme, Star Tours already being there, and the super popular Star Wars weekends.
- Pixar/Carsland: Whether or not we get Carsland exactly like it is in California or not, people feel that the area where Toy Story Mania is will be expanded into a full Pixar place. Perhaps with some elements of Carland and other Pixar movies included.
- Indiana Jones: with a new Indy movie and the current stunt show getting pretty worn, it won’t be a surprise to see a new Indiana Jones attraction in its place.
- Frozen: It’s so popular and even with an attraction in Epcot it wouldn’t be surprising to see it pop up here too. They already have the Frozen sing-along.
- Muppet Studios: I feel this is a really long shot, but people have mentioned it. The area where MuppetVision 3D is was originally planned to be a full Muppet area but it never happened. Some think that with the new Muppet movies and a Muppet TV show in the works, we’ll see more muppets.
What won’t happen over here is Marvel. Universal currently has Marvel attractions and while I’m no expert on the legalities, I do know that Disney currently can’t add Marvel experiences to their Florida parks. In California I wouldn’t be surprised to see some Marvel attractions.
What do you want to see happen at Hollywood Studios? What do you think of the current state of things? Which attractions would you miss?