Create your own Welcome Foolish Mortals doormat with the instructions below!
A few months ago I created my own Disney welcome mat for the front door – I was happy with how it turned out, and 6 months later I’m even happier at how well it’s holding up! Doormats I purchased from Target and the like faded really quickly but this one is still going strong. Since it worked well the first time, I decided to get seasonal and create a Welcome Foolish Mortals doormat.
Inspired by The Haunted Mansion, I thought this would be perfect for the fall/Halloween season. Though honest, the sentiment of calling people foolish mortals could be appropriate year round! 😉 I purchased a Haunted Mansion font to make this one. I also got to use my Circut for the first time! I just purchased it in September and I’m excited to do more crafting.
A couple of tips or things I learned while making this. My cricut only prints up to 12×12, and a doormat is larger than that. So I had to print out the design in sections and then line them up as best I could. I was also concerned about the stencil not working perfectly and the paint bleeding under it. This hasn’t been an issue as everything turns out great.
This design took me a good deal of paint. I used about a bottle and a half of the acrylic outdoor black paint in the materials below. Each of those bottles is 2 oz. So I probably used about 3 oz. of paint.
I’ve never done this before as I’m new to Cricut but I’m happy to share my file with anyone who wants it – click here for the cricut link. Let me know if this doesn’t work!
And if you want to see a quick video of my whole process, I put that together too!
How to make a Welcome Foolish Mortals doormat:
- Natural coir doormat (I got this one from Amazon)
- Cardstock or stencil paper
- painter’s tape
- Outdoor acrylic black paint
- Foam paintbrush
- Smaller brush for detailing
- Create your design. Feel free to use the one I shared through cricut or make your own. If you don’t have a Cricut you could still print something out and cut it out by hand with an exacto knife.
- Print the design onto cardstock or stencil paper.
- Secure the stencil to your mat using painter’s tape.
- Get ready to paint! You may need to do this in sections depending on how your stencils printed. I used the large foam brush to do most of the painting.
- Let dry, and do a second coat if necessary.
- Remove stencils. Use small brush to touch up any spots.
- Place your mat outside and enjoy!
Other blog posts of interest:
DIY Disney doormat
10 Disney Halloween decorations you make yourself
Painting Disney pumpkins
DIY Fall Mickey wreath
100 Disney things you can do at home
What do you think of this Welcome Foolish Mortals doormat? What sort of design would you put on a welcome mat?
Debbie Kolacki says
Becky @Disney in your Day says
Thank you! 🙂
Taylor Epperson says
I LOVE this! I’ve been trying to find a good Halloween/fall welcome mat, but I haven’t found anything I liked. This is perfect though, I might have to try it!!
Kait | Slumber & Scones says
So cute! I’m pretty sure my Halloween aesthetic is Haunted Mansion, and this is totally perfect. I love the narration from that attraction so much. I have never DIY’d a welcome mat before, but what a great idea if you want something totally unique.
Love this project! Is your design link still available? I’m having trouble opening it in my Cricut app. Thank you!