How to make your own Disney Valentine’s Day wreath with this DIY project:
I know not everyone decorates for Valentine’s Day, but my family always did so I like to add a little decor when I have time! (You know, on the years where I’ve actually taken all the Christmas stuff down by February…). And why not add a little Disney to your Valentine’s Day decorations?
The front door always looks sad when I take the Christmas wreath down, so I wanted something to replace it. I’d seen some cute Valentine’s Day wreaths, but nothing too Disney that I really liked – so I decided to make my own Disney Valentine’s Day wreath!
This was definitely a multi-step process, and I did mine over the course of a few days. Especially because you want to make sure the glue dries before you finalize your project or hang it up anywhere. I tried to put together a helpful tutorial below, but this is one situation where I think it’s really beneficial to see a visual, so I created a quick one-minute long video to give you an idea how everything works:
Here are some quick tips for making this Disney Valentine’s Day wreath:
- You can either buy pre-cut rings for crafting (they sell them a number of places specifically for making wreaths) or you can just cut your own rings out of Styrofoam. Since you need 3 rings for this craft in different sizes, I recommend plotting everything out before you start to make sure it will look how you want it to.
- Whether you are cutting it out yourself or buying rings, make sure to cut a small hole in the top of the large ring so you can string ribbon through later and be able to hang it.
- When gluing on your candy hearts, don’t forget to leave space for the ears on the main ring! I found with 3 rows of candy hearts on the main ring I needed to leave out a good portion of the third outside ring and then some of the second, middle ring.
- Let everything dry completely before trying to move it or move on to another step. In particular when you glue on the ears. You want it to all set so nothing slides around!
- Yes, the candy hearts actually do keep well when you use the finishing spray. I made this wreath last year in February 2021 and pulled it out of storage this year and it still looks great.
- This isn’t a tip but a “fun fact” – my cat Sam makes a short guest appearance in the video above! Did you catch him?
DIY Disney Valentine's Day Wreath
- Styrofoam, cardboard, or pre-cut craft rings
- Candy hearts
- Tacky glue
- Acrylic sealer finish spray
- x-acto knife
- If you are using pre-cut craft rings you can skip this step. If you start with styrofoam or cardboard, you'll want to trace out the size of your wreath first. I did mine to be about 12 inches across and the width of 3 layers of candy hearts.
- Cut out or have on hand two additional, smaller rings for the ears.
- Cut a small hole at the top of the main ring for the ribbon.
- Using tacky glue, apply candy hearts to the largest ring. Make sure to leave some space where you want the ears to go!
- Fill the smaller rings with tacky hearts.
- Glue the smaller rings onto the larger ring to create the Mickey Mouse head shape.
- At this point I cut everything out with the x-acto knife rather than doing it ahead of time so it would be more accurate.
- Tie a piece of ribbon through the hole at the top and make a bow.
- Spray the entire wreath with sealer so the candy won't get soggy and gross if you're using it outside (I recommend spraying it outside as the sealer is quite potent!).
- Hang on your front door or display somewhere in your home!
Would you display a Disney Valentine’s Day wreath on your front door? What sort of Valentine’s decor do you use?
Leave a Reply