Happy Spring! We have made it to April and at least around here it’s starting to get a little warmer – which probably means in Disney World it’s getting hot! That’s okay with me, because if all goes well I will be visiting my happy place again, finally, in May. So I’m looking forward to following all of the news and rumors this month. Especially with California having some exciting announcements there is a lot happening right now!
- Disneyland finally has a reopening date! The theme parks will be back on April 30th, 2021, and will initially be at limited capacity and only available to California residents.
- Also over in California Disney has announced “DisneylandForward,” an expansion project. However, it is still in the very early stages and would not involve a third gate or buying more land, rather doing some things differently with the existing land. Everything is still just in the idea phase and it many not happen at all, but above is a map that shows some of Disney’s initial thoughts.
- Aulani is slowly getting some of its attractions back, as the luau just reopened on March 27th.
- We have an opening date for Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure! The new attraction in Epcot will open on October 1st, 2021 – the same day as Disney World’s 50th anniversary.
- New destinations and itineraries on Disney Cruise Line have been announced and are now available to book for dates through summer 2022.
- Over at Disney World a new alternative to the magic band will be coming called MagicMobile. It more or less sounds like the features of a magic band but you tap your phone instead of the band. Magic Bands will still be active and available so you can choose which option works best for you.
- Disney has changed the premiere dates for a few of their upcoming films: Cruella will debut on May 28th and Black Widow will come out on July 9th. Both will be available in theaters and with premiere access on Disney+.
- Due to strict restrictions on sailings in the US, Disney Cruise Line will begin “cruises to nowhere” for UK residents this summer.
- Disney World is going to start testing facial recognition software – but participation is strictly optional.
- Dates for the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival this year have been announced – it will run from July 15th-November 20th.
Halloween // It’s around the time when tickets for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party would go on sale, so rumors are flying – both about it being cancelled again or that it is happening again. I think Disney will wait a little bit longer until we are in a better spot with vaccinations before making a decision. With them previously starting Halloween parties in August, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a shorter “party period” (maybe just late September and October). It’s possible they will skip and just aim for Christmas, but with Universal already announcing dates for their Halloween Horror Nights it’s a little more incentive for Disney to bring it back.
Disney College Program // The college program is currently on hold, and a lot of people are wondering when it might return. Chapek stated they intend to bring it back when “restrictions have eased” a bit more. That could still mean for the fall season of 2021 if things go well – and as the theme parks reopen more and more people return, they will need extra workers.
Dining Plans // Rumors have surfaced that the dining plan will be returning “soon.” People are speculating because sometimes the option comes up to “add a dining plan” when looking on the website, though it ultimately doesn’t work. This could just be a case of Disney’s bad IT, but Disney likes being able to offer the dining plan and Florida no longer has dining restrictions so it could potentially be one of the things they offer sooner rather than later.
Other Disney blogs
Headed to Disney World for Easter this weekend? Check out all of the 2021 Easter happenings at Disney World shared by Polka Dots and Pixie Dust.
WDW Vacation Tips has shared a really great article about Traveling to Disney World with autism. If you have a family member with autism this has lots of usefuldisne information.
Julie from Mom… Rewritten shares her experience visiting A Touch of Disney in California.
Thinking about surprising someone with a Disney Trip? Laura from Mickey Chatter has 14 ideas for revealing your Disney World surprise!