Please welcome guest blogger Michelle Ortiz, who shares how she created her very own DIY Fall Mickey wreath!
I was inspired by a fellow Disney fan who had a simple Mickey and Minnie on her garage doors and posted the pictures on Facebook. I had no idea how she did it, but I knew the look I was going for. My husband and I bought our house a year ago, and haven’t had a lot of time, or money for decorating for various seasons… so I have been trying to do a few DIY projects to help us look like we live there!
I thought of this project for our door wreath, and it would be good for Fall, Halloween (if I didn’t have time to do a different one) and Thanksgiving…so basically, I was set until Christmas if I didn’t have time for another one.
- one 16″ twig wreath
- two 12″ twig wreaths
- copper wire
- pliers/wire cutters
- Fall leaf garland
- Flowers, gourds, or other fall decorating materials
I went to Walmart and bought a 16″ twig wreath, and 2 12″ twig wreaths. I went to the electrical aisle and bought some copper wire to use to hold the wreaths together. For the garland and fall decorations, I got my materials at Michaels.
Putting it all together:
1. I cut about a 8″ piece of the wire (you can use more if you want to make sure you have enough, then just cut off the excess when you’re done). Then used needle nose pliers to work the copper wire through the twigs on both wreaths, then twisted the wire together like a twist tie. I did have a little left at the end, so I used wire cutters to trim it up, then the needle nosed pliers to turn the point down into the wreath (so that it would snag on anything or anyone).
2. I used a fall leaf garland that I wrapped around the whole Mickey head and used hot glue to attach the ends to the twigs so that it wouldn’t unwind.
3. Finally, I used hot glue and attached some flowers and little gourds I had gotten at Walmart and Michael’s. And wrapped a ribbon around the top a little bit and tied it in a bow for hanging.
4. Then I hung it on my door!
Other blog posts that may of interest:
Would you like to make a DIY Fall Mickey Wreath?