Chocolate peppermint cookie recipe from Epcot’s Festival of the Holidays:
It is rare to go to Epcot now and not have a festival happening. For awhile the Food and Wine Festival was the main one, and then Flower and Garden was added. However, more have popped up throughout the years and one of my favorites is the Festival of the Holidays. Like all Epcot festivals it features a number of food booths, each with a different theme around the holidays.
And of course cookies are a big part of that! Christmas cookies are a staple for the season, and Epcot has a variety. They even have a “cookie stroll” where you get a little passport and can get it stamped for trying different cookies. If you try all 5 on the list you get a bonus cookie, only available to those who complete the cookie stroll!
I am very into Christmas cookie baking so I knew I had to try and recreate some of these at home. One of my favorites is one that isn’t being offered in 2020 but has been seen at Festival of the Holidays in years past. It’s the chocolate peppermint cookie. I love the chocolate and mint combo and they are so pretty with the crushed candy canes on top!
Chocolate peppermint cookie recipe:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup dutch cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 24 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl for 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg and peppermint extract and beat until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Freeze batter for 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and for dough into balls (about a tablespoon each) and place 1.5 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges start to dry but the tops are slightly soft. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle a handful or crushed peppermint candies onto each cookie.
- Let cool completely and then enjoy!
Thinking about a trip to Disney World to experience the Festival of the Holidays next year? Check out my Ultimate List of Disney World planning resources to get you started. If you’d like the assistance of a travel agent at no extra cost to you, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we start planning and booking your trip!
Are you interested in making this chocolate peppermint cookie recipe?