Well, we’ve made it through another month, and it’s already October. I’ve been trying to keep myself busy with some fun fall related Disney activities. Be sure to look back through the blog for things like Halloween movies to watch on Disney+, how to make Disney Halloween rice krispies treats, and Disney fall printables to decorate your home!
- In sad news, Disney had to lay off 28,000 cast members through both Florida and California.
- The Disney Christmas holiday festivities will start in Disney World November 6th! This will include character cavalcades, projections on the castle, decorations, and special food and merchandise.
- A sequel to the “live action” Lion King is in the works – this film will be a prequel about Mufasa’s origin story.
- A new show called The Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom released to Disney+ last week and gives a great look into the animals at that park!
- New experiences at Tokyo Disneyland have opened, including an exciting new ride called Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast.
- The Polynesian resort will not be available for booking for regular rooms through summer 2021 (though it is still open for DVC members) – the rooms will be updated with a Moana theme.
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration will return to Hollywood Studios starting on October 5.
- Disney has plans to open one of the two water parks again in March 2021.
- Aulani, Disney’s Hawaiian resort, will be reopening in phases starting this November.
- RunDisney has cancelled two races for next year – WDW Marathon weekend in January 2021, and Princess weekend in February 2021. Both now have virtual options.
Resorts // Even though a lot of projects have been cancelled or postponed, work seems to continue on the Star Wars hotel. It will almost certainly be delayed from its expected 2021 opening, but it is still happening.
Magic Kingdom // Big Thunder Mountain may close soon to see a big refurbishment, according to some rumors. This is due to the fact that it was originally scheduled for a refurb this May (which never happened due to the shutdown) and some permits Disney has recently filed.
Fireworks // Disney recently was seen testing fireworks at Epcot – speculation is that this was for their new show Harmonious, which was originally supposed to debut this year. While some people are hoping this means we may see fireworks back soon, many people think it will be sometime in 2021 that we’ll see these kinds of shows again.
Other Disney blogs
Looking for a fun Disney craft to make at home? Check out this adorable Monsters Inc. scream canister money box from Indya at The Small Adventurer!
Tom at the Disney Tourist Blog has a list of resources if you’d like to help out cast members who have been furloughed or laid off.
Many people are favoring outside dining right now (I know I am!), so Jessica at the Happiest Blog on Earth put together this list of Best Disneyland Outdoor Dining – useful right now for Downtown Disney and when Disneyland eventually reopens!
What Disney news are you most interested in this month?