It’s February, which means I’m going to Disney this month! This has been the case for the past 4 years, as I keep going back for Princess race weekend. I think it’s a nice time to go. By February I’m at the point where I’m sick of the cold and need a break. And while the parks do tend to be more crowded because of the race weekend, they’re still manageable. We also have a lot of news from this past month, and thanks to my reader survey I discovered some more new (to me) Disney blogs to follow that many of you recommended! So I’m excited to say that this month I have 8 articles from other bloggers to share with you below, in addition to the news and rumors.
- Want a Disney medal but can’t travel to a RunDisney event? They are now offering a virtual Star Wars run!
- Seems like Dole Whip is popping up all over the place – you can now get it at the Pop Century food court.
- There was an incident on the monorail when it was running with the door open, and a guest caught it all on video. This has led to lots of discussion about safety procedures.
- If you’re going to the Epcot International Festival of the Arts, you might want to check out this foodie guide of all the treats that will be there. I wish I could attend!
- Over in Disney Springs, the World of Disney store is getting a makeover. It’s still accessible during construction, but I’m looking forward to seeing the renovations.
- A baby hippo was born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom! The Nile hippopotamus is a declining species, so successful attempts at breeding them are exciting news.
- New restaurant The Edison is now open in Disney Springs, and the food and drinks look quite delicious.
- In January Disney announced that 125,000 cast members would be receiving a $1,000 bonus, as well as introducing a new higher education program.
- Disneyland will be opening its first brewery, Ballast Point Brewing, sometime in 2018. I can’t wait to visit and try it!
Hollywood Studios // A name change for Hollywood Studios has been talked about for a long time, but now there’s finally a strong rumor of what the new name will be: Cinemagine Park. I’ll admit I’m not a fan.
Movies // Disney has been big on the live action movies recently, and the latest rumor is that Ridley Scott is in talks to direct a movie about Merlin from The Sword in the Stone.
Epcot // A rumor has been circulating that a new signature Japanese steakhouse will be opening in the Japan pavilion in Epcot’s World Showcase.
Monorail // Because of safety issues, rumors have been flying about one or both of the monorails closing, either temporarily or permanently. I certainly hope we don’t see a permanent closure!
Other Disney Blogs
If you love some good craft beer like me, you’ll probably find this guide to Beers of Epcot outside of the parks from Disney Adulting to be quite useful!
I’ve been loving all of the recipes over on Popcorner, and how cute are these mini Captain America apple pies?
Over at EasyWDW, Josh warns us that we could be looking at higher wait times for Toy Story Mania until the new land opens, due to the third track being closed.
The blog Parkeology covers some Disney dark rides that have surprisingly unhappy endings.
Mindy from This Fairy Tale Life tells us why Disneyland still has so much to offer, despite all of the construction happening there!
Did you know there’s a short run held every Sunday at Port Orleans French Quarter called the Beignet Dash? Beth from a Disney Mom’s Thoughts tells us all about it.
People sometimes ask me what else there is to do in the Orlando area besides Disney, but I admit I don’t venture past the theme parks much! Luckily the blog Flip Flop Weekend has a post on 36 fun things to do in Central Florida.
On the Disney Tourist Blog Tom tackles the question “Is there an off season at Disney World?” And like me, he feels the answer is no – but that’s not something to panic about.
What Disney news are you most interested in?