There are tons of great places to eat in Disney World, but some of my absolute favorites are in the Animal Kingdom area. I love the African and Indian inspired flavors, and you can’t be the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants. Between Sanaa, Boma, and Jiko you really can’t go wrong.
So when I came across the recipe for the barbecue chicken flatbread from Jiko, I knew I wanted to try it at home! The official recipe is a little more complicated than what I did (they have you make the dough from scratch and I bought store-bought) but it still turned out really yummy! This flatbread is no longer on the menu at Jiko, so if you want to enjoy it making it at home is the only way!
It looks like a lot of ingredients and a bit complicated, but it’s actually not too bad once you get going! A lot f it is just combining different spices, etc. Also, I found this to be a pretty spicy dish for me – you might consider using less jalapeno if you feel the same way.
For the Kenyan coffee barbecue sauce:
- 1/4 cup finely ground Kenyan coffee (I used the Jiko coffee from Joffrey’s!)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
For the cilantro-green chili pesto:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups packed cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
For the green apple-jicama slaw:
- 1 cup coarsely grated green apple
- 1 cup coarsely grated jicama
- 1/4 cupe of the cilantro-green chili pesto (made previously)
For the barbecue chicken flatbread:
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 package of flatbread dough
- 12 tablespoons Kenyan coffee barbecue sauce, divided (previously made)
- 1 1/2 cups green apple-jicama slaw, divided (previously made)
For Kenyan coffee barbecue sauce: Place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
For cilantro-green chili pesto: Place all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
For green apple-jicama slaw: Toss grated apple and jicama with cilantro-green chili pesto in a medium bowl. Set aside.
To make the flatbread:
- Divide dough into 3 equal balls and roll out until flat. Brush each flatbread with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Top each with 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake flatbread according to package directions and until crusts and golden and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top each flatbread with 1/2 cup diced chicken and drizzle with 4-6 tablespoons Kenyan barbecue sauce, or to taste. Top with 1/4 cup green apple-jicama slaw. Serve warm and enjoy!
Does this unusual flatbread sound appealing to you? What’s your favorite Disney meal to make at home?